Summer brings sunny skies and warmer temperatures, which means you’ll want quick, effortless hairstyles to stay cool and collected. To help breeze through your daily hair routine, we’re sharing four styling essentials and three easy styles you can wear all season.
Give styling a head start with second-day hair
Did you know hair can be easier to style between wash days because it has more texture to hold styles? Save yourself some time getting ready this summer by styling second day hair (i.e. hair that’s been unwashed for a day or two) with Effortless Waves, a Looped Braid, and a Twisted Knot.
If second-day hair isn’t an option when it comes time to style, don’t worry—we have the products and simple step-by-step guides you’ll need to achieve that same textured feel on your freshly washed strands.
THE RIGHT PRODUCTS MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE
You can create each of the hairstyles below with these essential products: shampureTM dry shampoo, heat reliefTM thermal protector and conditioning mist, air controlTM light hold hair spray and control forceTM firm hold hair spray.
Let’s start with our dry shampoo powder, shampureTM dry shampoo. Ideal for second day hairstyles, this 99% naturally derived* dry shampoo features a remarkable non-aerosol powder mist that absorbs excess oils and impurities to revive hair.
This dry shampoo is formulated for straight, wavy and curly hair and instantly adds texture and volume, which can help prep your hair before styling to hold the shape you’re trying to achieve. We also love using it to help extend good hair days, refresh hair after a workout, or transform hair before a night out.
Not only will this best-selling dry shampoo help refresh your hair and add texture, but our calming shampureTM aroma can help revive your senses in between shampoos. Featuring a blend of 25 pure flower and plant essences, including certified organic lavender, petit grain, and ylang ylang, the aroma is beloved by many Aveda fans.
The key to experiencing the best effect of shampureTM dry shampoo is all in the application. You’ll want to start by tipping the bottle upside down and then returning it upright. Next, turn the cap to expose the nozzle and lightly squeeze the bottle to puff the powder at the roots of your hair. The more you tip the bottle, the more you’ll increase the powder flow.
Applying the product precisely and controlling the flow of the non-aerosol powder pump comes easy with these tips. Lastly, massage the powder into your scalp and you’re ready to style your hair.
Our next essential is heat reliefTM thermal protector and conditioning mist. Made for all hair types, this weightless, fine dry mist instantly helps detangle and condition hair with a blend of certified organic jojoba, sunflower oils, and other pure flower and plant essences. It preps hair for styling by protecting it against thermal damage up to 450 degrees with a 97% naturally derived* formula that’s free from petrolatum, parabens, mineral oil and sulfates.
Similar to shampureTM dry shampoo, heat reliefTM thermal protector and conditioning mist instantly infuses your hair with our signature calming shampureTM aroma, adding a little me-time moment into your daily hair routine. Just a few spritzes also helps create soft and luminous, shiny hair. Before you reach for your blow dryer or any of your hot tools, you’ll want to use this vegan spray.
air controlTM light hold hair spray gives a flexible, lasting hold for all hair types. It can also be used to help add volume to hair, when directly sprayed on the hair’s roots. This hair spray is the ideal option for keeping your hair style in check with a workable hold.
For a stronger, long-lasting hold, you’ll want to use our control forceTM firm hold hair spray. We created our firmest hold hair spray to dry fast, with a non-flaking formula that also helps protect your hair from humidity all day. In our effort to care for the Earth, both air controlTM light and control forceTM firm have a net-zero climate impact.**
With four go-to styling products and three simple hairstyles, you’ll have the tools to create chic, effortless looks for summer and beyond.
Three simple summer hairstyles
Now that you know exactly which products you’ll need, let’s start styling. Pick one of your favorite hairstyles below or try them all—our easy guide helps you recreate each one.
LET YOUR HAIR DOWN
Style #1: Effortless Waves
The quintessential summer hair look? Easy, breezy waves. Here’s how to achieve them.
1. Apply shampureTM dry shampoo to roots, and massage it into the hair with your fingers.
2. Divide your hair into 4 sections and clip to your head.
3. Unclip your first section and spray heat reliefTM thermal protector and conditioning mist from mid-lengths to ends, focusing the application on the ends.
4. Take a 1” portion of hair, and beginning at the mid-section, wrap it around a large barrel curling iron, leaving the ends out. Hold for 10 seconds.
5. Release the curl, and gently pull the ends to elongate the curl as it cools.
6. Repeat with the rest of the hair in this section, and then move onto the three remaining sections, until the entire head is curled and cooled.
7. Spray the curls with air controlTM light hold hair spray.
LOOPED AND LOVELY
Style #2: The Looped Braid
Perhaps the easiest of the three styles, this pulled-back look will have you chic in no time.
1. Apply shampureTM dry shampoo to the roots, and massage it into the hair with your fingers.
2. Spray heat reliefTM thermal protector and conditioning mist from mid-lengths to ends.
3. Using your fingers as a comb, gently rake the hair back, twist it into a low ponytail and secure with a hair elastic.
4. Create a three-strand braid about halfway down the length of the low ponytail, and secure with an elastic.
5. Gently massage the braid to loosen it.
6. Separate the braid at the top, and loop the end of the ponytail through it.
7. Massage the sides of the head with your palms to slightly loosen some hair.
STRAIGHT TO THE TOP
Style #3: Twisted Knot
Your typical top knot just got more romantic, making this look perfect for summer date night or anytime you want your hair up and off your neck.
1. Apply a liberal amount of shampureTM dry shampoo to the roots, and massage it into the scalp with your fingers or brush through with our wooden paddle brush.
2. Using the brush, brush the hair back off the face, and gather into a ponytail at the top of the head. Secure the ponytail with a clear hair elastic.
3. Begin to twist the ponytail. Keep twisting until the ponytail coils around itself in a knot.
4. Secure the knot into the base of the ponytail with bobby pins.
5. Using the palms of your hands, loosen the knot to create a casual finish.
6. Finish with air controlTM light hold hair spray.
SHOP THE STORY
* From plants, non-petroleum minerals or water.
** Aveda funds renewable wind energy to offset the CO2 associated with the manufacturing, transportation and use of air controlTM and control forceTM to help ensure it has a net-zero impact on the Earth's climate. The majority of our offsets fund future wind energy over time. To learn more click here.