We love getting into the holiday spirit and although this year may look different for all of us, it can still feel good to get a little festive. We’re bringing you chic hairstyle ideas for the season from Senior Vice President of Global Professional Artistry, Antoinette Beenders, for 3 easy hairstyles you can achieve at home. Antoinette will also share her go-to hair care essentials for creating all three holiday looks.
The hair styling must-haves
In order to prep and style each look, Antoinette relies on her trusty, can’t-live-without hair care products, which also make perfect gifting ideas. First and foremost, she tells us the right blow out tools are a must, as these styling products can create the foundation for endless looks. To get the perfect smooth blowout, Antoinette suggests using speed of light™ blow dry accelerator spray and air control™ light hold hair spray.
speed of light™, our 90% naturally derived* blow dry primer, cuts blow dry time, leaving hair perfectly primed for styling. We formulated this unique product to also help care for your hair as you blow dry, with a coconut-derived conditioner that helps reduce breakage from blow drying by 93%.** Plus, a corn-derived humectant moisturizes hair to help protect against thermal damage from blow dryer heat.
Next up, our best selling air control™ light hold hair spray offers flexible, lasting hold for all hair types. This product was created to have a net-zero impact*** on the Earth's climate, in an effort to care for our environment.
Antoinette also loves the volumizing set, which doubles as a great gift idea for the style pro in your life. This set includes pure abundance™ shampoo and conditioner, plus the phomollient™ styling foam and volumizing tonic™.
Our pure abundance™ collection infuses hair with weightless volume. The pure abundance™ shampoo and pure abundance™ conditioner are formulated with kaolin clay from England and acacia gum from Africa to build body for any hairstyle.
An essential for your hair care collection, our phomollient™ styling foam creates weightless body and volume on fine to medium hair. Our unique air-infused technology transforms a liquid into a foam without hydrocarbon propellants.
Lastly, volumizing tonic™ lifts hair from the root to creates maximum volume on fine and medium hair. This Aveda best seller uses certified organic aloe and wheat amino acids to help build body and add shine.
3 looks to love
“The trick to great holiday hair is enhancing your everyday hairstyle with a glamorous twist,” Antoinette tells us. Discover her three sophisticated holiday hairstyles and treat your hair to a little holiday magic.
THE GEMSTONE PONY
“This is an easy hairstyle for long hair, and one of my favorite hairstyles for a ponytail,” Antoinette says. “It also works on any hair texture which I love.”
1) After shampooing and conditioning hair, apply a liberal amount of speed of light™ blow dry accelerator spray. Blow dry hair one section at a time, sectioning out hair and clipping back the rest as you go.
2) Next, spray hair with air control™ light hold hair spray, and use a straightening iron to straighten hair.
3) Divide the back of your hair from the front, and separate each section using hair clips.
4) Spray the back section with air control™ and use a small elastic band to tie it at the nape of your neck.
5) Take the front section and split it down the middle, so there’s a left and right section. Take the left section and spray with air control™. Pull the left section towards your low back pony, wrap it over the right side of the ponytail and use bobby pins to secure it underneath the pony.
6) Repeat step 5 with the remaining right section of hair, and wrap it over the left side of the ponytail, securing underneath with bobby pins.
7) Spray air control™ on hands and use your fingers to fully combine the hair from the front sections into the ponytail.
THE SMOOTH VOLUME LOOK
Antoinette relies on this classic style to add full body to most hair types. It’s a sophisticated twist for blow out hairstyles.
1) After shampooing and conditioning, towel dry hair and apply our volumizing tonic™ from roots to ends.
2) Divide a vertical section from your hair, from the top of your head. Make sure the section matches the width of a large velcro roller.
3) Starting at the ends, roll hair onto a velcro roller towards the scalp, making sure ends are neatly tucked in. Secure the roller with a clip if necessary.
4) Take another vertical section of hair at the top of your head, below the roller you just placed. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with this section.
5) Continue to repeat steps three and four with sections of hair from the top of your head all the way down to the nape of your neck.
6) Then repeat steps 3 and 4 with bigger, jumbo rollers for remaining hair on both sides of your head. Roll hair onto rollers only up to chin level.
7) Spritz set rollers with another mist of volumizing tonic™ and allow hair to air dry or use a blow dryer until hair is completely dry.
8) Next, remove rollers and rake through with fingers for a natural, voluminous look and finish with a light mist of air control™ light hold hair spray.
THE ROPE BRAID
“A rope braid looks great with any party dress,” Antoinette tells us. “It’s also a great way to keep your hair off of your face, and add lots of shine. It looks intricate but it’s easy to do and can work on most hair types.”
1) After shampooing and conditioning, apply a generous amount of speed of light™ blow dry accelerator spray to hair and blow dry hair until dry.
2) Start by making a ponytail on the crown and set it with air control™ light hold hair spray.
3) Apply a liberal amount of phomollient™ styling foam and disperse evenly throughout the ponytail.
4) Divide the ponytail into 2 equal sections.
5) Take 1 section and comb through. Twist this section clockwise and hold it with one hand.
6) Take the other section and twist it clockwise with your other hand.
7) Then take both sections and twist them around each other counterclockwise until you reach the ends. Secure it with a small, clear elastic band.
SHOP THE STORY
*From plants, non-petroleum minerals or water.
**Based on a repeat grooming study with a blow dryer versus non-conditioning shampoo alone.
***Aveda funds renewable wind energy to offset the CO2 associated with the manufacturing, transportation and use of air control™ to help ensure it has a net-zero impact on the Earth's climate. The majority of our offsets fund future wind energy over time. To learn more click here.