|Why Aveda makeup?
I choose to work with Aveda makeup because they take a different approach to beauty than many other product lines. With Aveda, beauty is approached with total wellness and health in mind. They accomplish this by using natural, plant-derived ingredients in their products that are good for the consumer—and the Earth.
|What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1. Wear the right shade of foundation. Making a foundation mistake is the quickest way to ruin your makeup look—and it’s also the most common mistake I see. When choosing your foundation, always check it in natural light. It should seamlessly blend into your skin.
2. Remember to always prep your skin before applying makeup: your skin is your canvas. Cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize to create a smooth surface.
3. Always check your makeup in natural daylight. Some mistakes you can't see in your bathroom light — check it in natural daylight for best results.
|How can I choose the right foundation?
First, consider your skin type. If your skin tends to be oil rich, a powder formula like inner light™ mineral dual foundation minimizes and controls shine. If your skin is dry and needs moisture, inner light™ mineral tinted moisture provides a dewy, luminous finish. Once you’ve figured out which product suits your skin type, choose the right color. Try 2-3 shades that appear to be close to your natural skin tone. Always check by testing it on your face. Choose the one that blends invisibly into the skin. Be sure to compare colors in daylight or natural light.
|What are the 3 items you can't live without?
1. Moisturizer. I approach skin care as the first step in makeup application; it is preparing the canvas for a flawless look. Foundation applied to dry skin quickly looks flakey and powder on top enhances the dryness making it difficult to blend your other makeup products.
2. Eye lash curler. Curling your lashes instantly opens the eyes and gives the eyes a wide-eye appearance.
3. Cheek color. A little cheek color gives instant radiance to the skin. It gives your entire face a healthy glow.
4. OK, one more — Concealer. A little concealer goes a long way and will instantly brighten up dark circles under eyes, giving you a more rested appearance.
|How do I create a 5-minute makeup look?
This is the most common request that I get. Here are some simple steps to get out the door in a hurry.
1. Apply a moisturizer.
2. Apply concealer where needed and follow with foundation. Remember, even if you are in a hurry, blend well.
3. Use cheek color; I love our petal essence™ face accents, which look natural and radiant on the skin. Swirl all 3 colors together, smile and apply in the apples of the cheeks.
4. Apply an eye color over the entire lid. Choose a color that is close to your natural skin tone or a highlight color, to go all over the lid. Apply a little liner along the lash line and blend with our eye smudger brush.
5. Curl lashes and apply 2 coats of mascara.
6. Don't forget your lips! I love our uruku color glosses; they are easy to wear and come in great natural shades.